Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bottle feeding

I feel conflicted that I still give Jax anywhere from 1-3 bottles of milk a day.  I know most people have stopped bottle feeding by 1-1.5 years old but it is such a sweet bonding experience that we both still enjoy.  Holding him, looking at each other, cuddling, we both just love it.  He takes milk and water from a sippy cup throughout the day but I still put him to bed with a bottle every night.  Maybe that's part of our problem with his sleeping habits but neither of us want to give it up yet.

We have started to do away with the morning and nap bottles but the night time bottle is just so hard to give up.  I don't understand why it's okay to breastfeed your baby all day until whatever age you want to stop, but giving your 2 year old a bottle is taboo.  I get the whole deal that it is bad for his teeth if we don't brush before going to bed.  But we have a good brushing system going on, (knock on wood). For the most part, it is society that is making me feel guilty about doing this.  I think whatever works for your family is all good...to a point.  But I see nothing wrong giving my 20 month old a bottle at night.

I'm going to try to stop beating myself up over it.  He's gonna grow up too fast soon enough, no need to push him faster than either of us are ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment