Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Part time (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)

Well, I asked for it and I got it.  A couple of weeks ago I asked my boss if I could work part time, thinking she would once again say no, but this time she said sure, if that's what you really want.  I said to let me talk it over with Tony.  So after much talking and persuading, Tony said fine and so did my president, and here we are.  I start part time on August 1, only working 3 days a week.  There are a lot of pros to this situation,
  • I get 4 day weekends every week
  • more time to spend with Jax and Tony
  • more time to get things done so I actually have a weekend and time off
  • hopefully give my neck time to heal (it is killing me sitting in my chair 5 days a week)
  • I can help with the business
  • I can have some time to myself if I want it
  • we can take long weekends whenver we want now
  • I won't be wasting my day, doing nothing at work when I could be spending it with my family
But, there are also 3 big negatives:
  • I lose all my benefits (no more days off and no insurance)
  • less take home pay
  • I have become a statistic - I am basically uninsurable
We submitted a health insurance application last week and they turned me down right away, didn't even go to underwriting.  Basically, with my neck injury, no one is gonna want to insure me until they have to (2014).  I have to go on Cobra until I either run out of time (18 months) or I go back to work full time, or I get a new job with benefits.   Since I've already given my job the idea that I don't have enough work to fill 5 days at the moment, I don't forsee them saying okay, you can stay full time right now, so that's out.  18 months is a long time, anything can happen, maybe I will want to work more down the road after I've had some down time.  Maybe I will find a different job that I will like better and give me benefits.  Who knows?  I was basically freaking out all weekend, wondering if I was gonna get insured, but once I got turned down, I almost felt better.  Now, I don't have to wonder anymore.  It is what it is.  The healthcare system sucks and I am now one of many that it refuses to help.  It might actually be better to be on Cobra since I have my same benefits and they cover so much of the procedures I am going through right now for my neck.  Hopefully I will be able to get healed on Cobra for much cheaper than any insurance plan I would get approved for anyway.  That is my hope.  Gotta look at the positives.

Working part time is supposed to be a positive good thing for me, so I'm not gonna dwell or stress about this.  Or at least I'm gonna try not to.  We are all covered for at least the next 18 months. Tony and Jax will get their own plan and I'll be on Cobra.  We already live off of Tony's paycheck, so hopefully he will continue to be blessed and bring in the big bucks.  :-)  God will provide and show us what to do.  I just want to be with my baby and my husband and get my body better and I think this is the only way to do that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! New follower from toddle along tuesday hop! I would love for you to stop by http://aboutamom.com to say hi & return follow!

    ReplyDelete