Monday, June 27, 2011

Jax's surgery

Jax woke up around midnight so I fed him and then we all slept in before his surgery on Thursday.  He did really well not being able to eat all day.  He wasn't really grumpy about it which was shocking since he usually wants his food NOW.  When we were finally called back to get him ready, he started  to get a little clingy to me.  I guess he was a little freaked out about everybody looking at him and all the new surroundings.  He looked so cute in his little gown, I had to take a picture.  When it was time to take him to surgery, I passed him to the anesthesiologist and let her take him away, trying to distract him, I saw her point out the lights above.  I saw his hand point up as he looked at them.  That was the saddest part.  Watching the lady take him down the hall and he was oblivious as to what was gonna happen in the next few minutes.  I hope he didn't cry but I will never know.  I guess that's a good thing.  He was so brave.  They don't do any of the IVs until he is out, which is good.  But they ended up sticking him like 8x trying to find a good vein.  They said it's harder to find on light skinned babies.  8 times!!!

The surgery took almost exactly an hour.  Just enough time for us to eat our lunch.  The doctor called us back and told us everything went better than expected.  His case was more mild than he thought.  He said he thinks there is a 0% chance he will need more surgery.  Yeah!  After that, they sent us out to wait some more.  Finally, after another 20 minutes, they let us back in to the room to wait.  When they brought him to me, he was swaddled in this white cloth, when he saw me he started to cry a little bit and wiggle around uncomfortably. I almost started to cry, he was so sad.  So I rocked him and fed him.  He ate and cried a little bit and then he finally settled down.  We finally got all the tubes and stuff off of him and they let us go home.  He fell asleep in the car.  Once we got home, he woke up and ate again and we gave him his meds and he past out for a few hours.  When he woke up, it was almost like nothing had happened to him.  He was crawling and playing and didn't seem to be in any pain.  We had to give him the good pain meds to go to sleep because he kept waking up, but he slept through the night.

Now he is back to normal for the most part.  He's a little more clingy to me and he doesn't want to be put down.  We go back to the doctor in 2 weeks and if everything is okay, then that's the end of that.  Crossing my fingers.


  1. UGH... Im sure your heart was breaking for him.... Im glad everything turned out well.... i agree,, he is completely adorable in that gown... ha ha

  2. I'm coming over from TAT. Glad everything went well for you. My little guy just turned 9 months so I'm excited to start following you!